[time-nuts] How can one measure ADEV of a good oscillator?

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Dec 1 19:08:46 EST 2014

HI

> On Dec 1, 2014, at 1:11 PM, Richard (Rick) Karlquist <richard at karlquist.com> wrote:
>

> On 11/30/2014 11:09 PM, Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd) wrote:
>> I think I have a flaw in my understanding of this.
>>
>> How can something like an SR620 measure the ADEV of an oscillator,  if the
>> oscillator is of a similar or better than the reference fed into the SR620?
>
> What HP did with the 10811 was to make a few special crystals that
> were 500 Hz off frequency and build them into oscillators.  These
> oscillators were mixed with the DUT and the 500 Hz beat note was then
> squared up and its ADEV measured with a frequency counter.  After
> measuring a bunch of production line oscillators, they could establish
> a minimum ADEV that would be attributed to the offset oscillator.  If
> this level of performance wasn't good enough, other offset crystals
> could be tried until a "golden" crystal was found.

Others did a similar thing by simply taking production OCXO’s to the limit of their EFC range. That let you do a coarse sort to find some number of “likely” units. Next step was to pop  a few of them open and short this or that out to get a reasonable beat note. Numbers in the 10 to 20 Hz range were pretty common. After that a single mixer setup followed by a simple limiter got things good enough to screen the production lots.

Bob