[time-nuts] Any tutorial available for Lady Heather displays?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Dec 3 02:28:56 EST 2014

mflawson2 at cox.net said:
> I want to learn more in general about timing, deviation, steering, GPSDO's,
> etc.,

Many years ago, I learned a lot by reading the manual for the Z3801A.  It's
an owners/operators manual rather than a tutorial, but you can learn a lot by
reading between the lines.  There is a ham radio web site with a lot of good
info, including the manual and a good story that goes with a tour through the
oscillator.

There are also several HP app notes and articles in the HP Journal.  One
covers the history: GPSDOs started as a way for power companies to figure out
where lightning had hit their lines.  All you have to do is measure the time
the breakers trip accurately enough and you can drive the repair truck to the
correct tower.

The TBolt documentation probably covers a lot of the same ground.  I think
it's split over several documents.  The protocol documentation might be a bit
thick, but again, you can learn a lot by reading between the lines.

For general fun reading about timing, I recommend:
  Time Too Good to Be True, Daniel Kleppner
  Physics Today, March 2006, page 10
  http://scitation.aip.org/journals/doc/PHTOAD-ft/vol_59/iss_3/10_1.shtml

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.