[time-nuts] Lucent KS-24361 RS-422 interface pinout

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sat Dec 6 06:36:04 EST 2014

goetz at g-romahn.de said:
>> Pins 4 and 8 look like inputs.  Does anybody know what you
>> can send in there?

> Hal, it's already known to us:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/time-nuts%40febo.com/msg69593.html

Thanks.

time messages.
  It doesn't turn on sending "scpi > " to tell you when it is ready for
another command.

Without the scpi, I thought a short delay might be needed.  Except for two
cases, it isn't.  There may be more cases that I haven't discovered.

The first case is switching to T2 mode.  It takes about a second for the scpi
on the Diagnostic port.  I assume it's writing to flash.  A delay in that
path works without any delay in the normal case.

The other case that needs special handling is the status page.  I check for
"Self Test:", then in the normal case discard the scpi.

I have python code that does what I want and works on both J6 (no scpi) and
J8 (with scpi).  Every 30 seconds, it reads several parameters and writes
them to a log file, then displays the status page.  Poke me off-list if you
want a copy.  It's running on Linux but might be easy to port to Windows.

The bottom line is that you (or NTP) can get both the text interface and PPS
on a single connector.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.