[time-nuts] FYI: Galileo satellite recovered and transmitting navigation signals

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 6 09:39:23 EST 2014

On 12/6/14, 6:18 AM, Attila Kinali wrote:
> On Sat, 06 Dec 2014 14:47:54 +0100
> Magnus Danielson <magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org> wrote:
>
>> Also, GPS L2C and L5 signals is already there.
>
> AFAIK there is no satellite with L5 capabilities in space yet.
> Also L2C is still marked as unhealthy.
>
> 			Attila Kinali

There are at least 2 satellites radiating L5, maybe more.  We've
received and processed the signals (and those from L2c) on the JPL
software receiver on ISS. (making a first.. first triband receiver in
space, etc.)

I'm pretty sure the L2c signals have been radiated for a while. If
they're not marked "good", it's probably because the formal validation
process hasn't completed.

(in fact, a quick trip to gps.gov says for L2C "Pre-operational signal
broadcasting from 14 GPS satellites (as of November 7, 2014)" and for L5
"Pre-operational signal broadcasting from 7 GPS satellites (as of
November 7, 2014)"

So, not a whole constellation, but the signals are there.