[time-nuts] lightening protection of a GPSDO system / optical isolated distribution amp

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sun Dec 7 07:39:41 EST 2014

On 11/27/2014 01:10 AM, Jim Lux wrote:
> On 11/26/14, 2:54 PM, Hal Murray wrote:
>>
>> albertson.chris at gmail.com said:
>>> The ground rod needs to be bonded to the rest of the building ground
>>> system.
>>
>> How do I do that effectively if the power goes in the front of the
>> building
>> and the antenna is on the back?
>>

> AWG 6 wire with no breaks or splices between the two.
>
> The goal of bonding all the grounding systems together is not for
> transient suppression.  It's to make sure that there's no DC or line
> frequency potential difference between "electrical safety ground" at
> various places in the building.
>
> The background on the whole grounding/bonding requirement is more about
> safety when a power carrying conductor, either inside equipment or
> overhead, touches something that people might touch. And, to a lesser
> extent to ensure that if there's an internal short, that the breaker or
> fuse will trip.
>
> NEC requirements for grounding and bonding aren't there for transient
> suppression.
>
> A copy of IEEE 1100 (the Emerald Book) is good reading for the whole
> bonding and equipotential planes, etc.  (unfortunately not free from IEEE).
>
> A good book on transient protection is Ronald Standler's book
> "protection of electronic circuits from overvoltages"
> Something like $20 from Dover...

Do use the ITU-T K-series as a reference, it's a great starting point
and they are there for free download. The ITU-T K.27 explains grounding
in a station, and that could be interesting food for though in many
cases, where people try to motivate Isolated Bonding Network while Mesh
Bonding Network might be better in the end. K.40 may be inspiring. K.97
a special case which is partly relevant here.

Cheers,
Magnus