[time-nuts] Did a member of time-nuts buy this?

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Dec 7 09:20:49 EST 2014

Hi

> On Dec 6, 2014, at 1:47 PM, Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd) <drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk> wrote:
>
> On 6 Dec 2014 18:33, "Bert Kehren via time-nuts" <time-nuts at febo.com> wrote:
>> be done, the real issue who would buy one people that need
>> Cesium  will pay the price for a new one and time nuts would not spend the
>> money for a  working rebuild tube. Where is the market?
>
> There's a professional market for thermionic tubes above 10 kW or so.
> Commercial companies will buy rebuilt tubes. Why should it be any different
> with a Cs tube?

A Cs tube has virtually no resemblance at all to a normal vacuum tube. In a vacuum tube - replace the cathode / filament structure and you are good to go. The Cs tube has been rightly described as “a complete physics lab in a very small trash can”. Getting all the “stuff” out, cleaning off the Cs contamination, re-aligning it, and tuning it up is a lot of work. There are only a handful (say two) places on the earth that are set up to do it. Even when you are set up to do it, yield can go to zero for months due to fairly small issues ….

Bob