[time-nuts] Did a member of time-nuts buy this?

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Dec 8 07:07:59 EST 2014

HI

> On Dec 7, 2014, at 4:52 PM, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Dec 7, 2014 at 7:03 PM, Bob Camp <kb8tq at n1k.org> wrote:
>> Of the $20K to $30K that a new tube costs, I doubt the material and basic assembly adds up to over $5K. The rest of the cost is the final assembly / test / yield / re-test / tooling / labor. That’s doing them in as high a volume as anybody does them. You will need either a couple of H-Masers or a set of Cs’s running and in good condition simply to make sure you got them put together right ….
>
> I'm sure that assembly/test/yield/re-test/tooling/labor are all
> killers, but why the comment on h-masers?

You need a test reference that’s “better than” the thing you are testing.

> CS beam standards are largely self-calibrating, thats why they can be
> primary references.

It’s the “largely” part that gets you. They don’t get to this or that ADEV level due to primary characteristics.

> For checking against systemic error you might
> want a CS ensemble, but everyone has access to one of those for long
> term measurement via GPS.

Checking things like mag field against a 24 hour time frame probably isn’t very efficient. It’s also going to be to be tough to keep calibrated.

Bob