[time-nuts] Beaglebone NTP server

Mike Cook michael.cook at sfr.fr
Thu Dec 11 00:45:11 EST 2014

> Le 11 déc. 2014 à 05:47, Brian Lloyd <brian at lloyd.aero> a écrit :
>
> On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 10:15 PM, Chris Albertson <albertson.chris at gmail.com
>> wrote:
>
>> Those sub 1 u-second numbers are very good.  They argue for using the BBB
>> as an NTP server but I wonder if it really is the best.   I think the
>> numbers that matter are measures of the close on the computers who use your
>> BBB as a server.  In other words the goal is to synchronize a set of
>> computers.  Can The little BBB push accurate time out to a set of user
>> computers and keep then in sync better then some other NTP server platform?
>>

> When I think of what we have been using to run NTP down through the years,
> this is almost funny. The BBB is little in physical package size only. Its
> processing power is not inconsequential.

The question for anyone using them for other than personal use may be  long term reliability. My three Soekris 4501s all died from power supply failiurs after 5 years contnuous use, while the 4801s have 6 years under the belt and still going strong. Will the RPIs and BBBs systematic issues or still be running after the same time? Of course 5 years is not that bad when S1 NTP servers are dedicated to that. Also the cost is so low that replacement isn’t a problem. A no brainer really.