[time-nuts] Which First GPSDO to buy?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Dec 13 01:55:02 EST 2014

All,

As a relative newcomer to this list, I have been reading the posts
concerning GPSDOs. I have what I hope is a simple question.

For a newcomer to this field, which GPSDO would be better to purchase as
a first-time acquisition:

- This "LUCENT/SYMMETRICOM Z3810AS, KS24361 L101/L102, HP-KIO OEM GPSDO
TIMING SYSTEM", eBay item 321560316836, or

- This "Nortel Trimble NTBW50AA GPSTM 10MHz Oscillator GPSDO + Antenna
&Acc. Thunderbolt", eBay item 301434579384

I am looking for a reference for my lab. Experimentation with GPSDOs
will come later.

Thanks
DaveD

Or get a more modern using such as the LTE-Lite evaluation kit.  I see a
19.2 MHz version as item 171504588307, but 10 MHz and 20 MHz versions have
also been made available.  It's a lot smaller and lighter than last
century's kit, and might even come with a guarantee!

My 10 MHz unit came with a simple magnetic mount, patch antenna which picks
up enough signal even indoors (top storey of a two storey building) whereas
the older units are typically much less sensitive and require an outdoor
antenna, a complication you can do without.

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk