[time-nuts] Set time on Solaris computer from HP 58503A

Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd) drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Sun Dec 14 04:02:54 EST 2014

Both my computers run Solaris.

* One, a Sun Ultra 27 has a Xeon processor, no serial ports, but I do have
a good quality USB serial adapter for it.

* The other, a Sun Blade 2000, has a SPARC processor & a 25 pin serial
port.

I am using the Sun Blade 2000 to talk to the HP now, but I don't run that
machine 24/7 due to the fact it is rather power hungry. The Xeon based
machine is much more modern,  much faster and uses a lot less power.

I would like to be able to set the date & time of the Xeon workstation from
the HP 58503A. I appreciate that the USB is likely to cause some
performance degradation compared to a real serial port, but I can live with
that.

Can anyone advise if this is possible,  and if so what software is needed?
Any idea what sort of accuracy would be achievable?

I bought this to use as a frequency reference,  not a clock,  so I am not
going to buy commercial software to do it,  but if it can be done easily
from open source software I will do so.

Any suggestions?

Dave