[time-nuts] Set time on Solaris computer from HP 58503A

Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd) drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Sun Dec 14 12:01:08 EST 2014

On 14 Dec 2014 15:45, "Bob Camp" <kb8tq at n1k.org> wrote:

> There are some long and detailed threads back in the archives about just
how USB works and what this does to timing.

> Simple / quick summary:

The impact on pps timing could (and often is) quite major.

I would still like to experiment with it. As I wrote earlier I bought this
for a frequency reference,  not a clock, but I would not object to a bit of
fun messing around with it.

> Another alternative (and thus it’s popularity on the list) is to set up
something small and light weight as a dedicated NTP server on your local
LAN. That gets the timing issues of your local connection to the internet
out of the NTP equation. You can  get down under 10 us with a setup like
that. The result may be better than your ability to time an edge on the SUN
box, due to all the other overheads involved there. It’s also a nice stand
alone project that is far less likely to mess up your main machine. The
boards commonly used are < $100 and some are much cheaper than that.

> Bob

I can't really justify that given an accurate clock is not really necessary
for me.

Dave