[time-nuts] Which First GPSDO to buy?

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 10:56:22 EST 2014

It's not worth making a PCB, not when you can buy the whole thing already
assembled for $3 with free shipping.  I use these just as if they where a
single chip and put them in a socket.  See eBay 141505833625 as an example.
  Those holes are in 0.1 inch centers so you can figure out the size. (I
get 1.3 inches long.)  direct link
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/ARDUINO-PRO-MINI-Nano-Pro-Mini-atmega328-Compatible-Nano-5V-16M-/141505833625?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20f267aa99>

I'll write up what I built.  It would be good to see the range of these.  I
tried to make mine as simple an low cost as possible without regard to
anything else.  Just to find the bottom line.  I doubt I would have met
that gaol by using a bare AVR chip.  That is NOT simple because it requires
so much more skill from the builder and with an entire working Arduino
selling for $3 how much could you save?  Actually the chips on that $3
board cost more than $3. (I don't even see how shipping from China can be
that cheap.)

On Sat, Dec 13, 2014 at 10:56 PM, Patrick Tudor <ptudor at ptudor.net> wrote:

> > On Dec 13, 2014, at 9:47 PM, Chris Albertson <albertson.chris at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Actually I've added  some features to it like a 2 line by 16 character
> LCD
> > display and some status LEDs.  And I can log data to a computer via a USB
> > cable so it is easy to plot data and it is using my more expansive mast
> > mounted timing antenna.
>

> Just in case any of you like reading Arduino code, for fun or functions to
> copy-and-paste,
> the code for my PCB that combines an ATMega328p with an Adafruit GPS and
> 16x2 LCD to display GPS info as it sends the PPS out the DB9 DCD is at
> GitHub.
> It’s not exactly, say, measuring oscillator cycles (yet... ) but it’s
> perhaps
> a good introduction for someone who’s never ever before used anything
> Arduino.
> (And now that I’ve done more PCBs with Cypress and FTDI chips, I wish I’d
> put
> that straight on my board instead of as a future daughterboard, but,
> feature creep.)
>
> https://github.com/ptudor/jemma-clock
>
> PT

Chris Albertson