[time-nuts] Meaning of "SS" on status screen from 58503A

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sun Dec 14 15:53:47 EST 2014

On 12/14/2014 08:57 PM, Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd) wrote:
> On 14 December 2014 at 19:52, Bob Camp <kb8tq at n1k.org> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> SS is signal strength. There is a setting somewhere buried deep in the SCPI to switch the display units.
>>
>> Bob
>
> I guessed SS probably was signal strength, but what values are good
> and bad? There's nothing in any manual I can find that mentions SS on
> the 58503A. I can't find any SCPI command that is supposed to switch
> the display units.

The 58503 manual gives this detail:

C/N (58503B)

indicates the carrier-to-noise ratio of the received the signal, from a
range of 26 to 55. A ratio below 35 is a weak signal that may not be
acquired by the Receiver.

SS (59551A)

indicates the strength of the signal, from a range of 0 to 255. A signal
strength of 20 to 30 is a weak signal that may not be acquired by the
Receiver.

I suspect that the SS was upgraded to C/N in the development.

Cheers,
Magnus