[time-nuts] tyco electronics A1025

Francesco Messineo francesco.messineo at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 08:41:13 EST 2014

On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 9:09 AM, Brian Inglis
<Brian.Inglis at systematicsw.ab.ca> wrote:
> On 2014-12-14 10:29, Francesco Messineo wrote:
>
>> The A1029, which is a newer model, has indeed a PPS output and I've
>> been able to find a datasheet for it but the pinout isn't anything
>> like the A1025.
>> I planned to reverse engineer the pinout, but I'd like at least not to
>> be forced to try to guess the power pins. Maybe someone still has the
>> data for this older module.
>

> One article mentions the A1029 as a drop in replacement for the A1025,
> as an early auto receiver with gyro and dead reckoning nav "holdover",
> but that may refer to the complete module, and you may have just the GPS.
>
> The GPS could have provided PPS for DR nav, and some TE model specs offer
> TCXOs, which may also have been required for DR timing holdover, but may
> not have been part of the GPS.
>
> Those GPS seem to have been standard STMicroelectronics parts with firmware
> customization for functions and additions, and offered proprietary $PSTM
> NMEA sentences. If you can read off the STM part STA 2... (perhaps under
> a patch antenna) you may be able to search for more details.

I've found a couple of articles saying the A1025 indeed has PPS output
as I suspected. However, none of them reports any hint about the
pinout of this module.
The module itself is soldered on a small daughter board, so I can't
look on the other side for possible part numbers other than the tyco
electronics one.
The daughter board has some transistors, passives, a 74HC14 and a
small component, probably a power supply regulator that I can't
identify. It's a microchip part marked CS05351CK (CS0535 1CK in two
rows).
Reverse engineering is not progressing much also because of this
unknown microchip part.

Regards

Frank