[time-nuts] GPS position averaging

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Dec 15 19:39:47 EST 2014

Hi

> On Dec 15, 2014, at 7:19 PM, Bill Hawkins <bill at iaxs.net> wrote:
>
> This may be one of those cases where the human brain's ability to see
> patterns would help to see the distribution and eliminate outliers. Plot
> a manageable set of X and Y points, and another set of X and Z points.

yup

> To make the three dimensions plot as one in a statistical distribution
> (bell) curve, use the magnitude of the vector.
>
> What do the surveyors instruments do that can get them down to a few
> centimeters in half an hour?

The ones around here use a survey grade GPS and log the data to a file. They do a bunch of post processing to get the solution to a desired level of accuracy. Last time I had it done, they had more fun looking at the GPSDO’s than running their fancy GPS.

> You might also want to study what's been said about the causes of
> variance. The atmosphere is not uniform.

Ionospheric issues are one of the things that gets corrected for to make a more accurate result.

> Consider the relative effect of position on time, where one foot or 30
> cm is equivalent to 10E-9 second.

…. and some of the errors between solutions are > 10 feet.

> Also consider the 'averaging' period of the PLL filter in the
> disciplined oscillator.

The problem shows up when the GPS constellation is in a configuration that accentuates the error. That’s often a 12 / 24 / 48 hour sort of thing.

Bob