[time-nuts] Choke Rings and Points North

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 16 11:20:57 EST 2014

On 12/16/14, 5:59 AM, Tom Van Baak wrote:
>> Clever idea, but..
>>
>> Most rotary joints have more phase and amplitude variability than
>> the antenna.
>>
>> So you're stuck with rotating back and forth with a cable that's
>> flexing and now you get to measure the phase variability of the
>> coax.
>
> I was thinking of some sort of non-contact RF bridge that would allow
> either side to rotate independently. Converting to optical would make
> this easy, but there must be a way to do it at 1.5 GHz too.

two nested coils forming an air core transformer or slip rings are the
typical approach.
(Waveguide at 1.5 GHz is somewhat unwieldy in size).

The trick is in holding mechanical tolerances tight enough.I guess, 1mm
mechanical tolerance (easy, easy) would be comparable to the phase
center displacement.

>> You really need to have your entire GPS system antenna and receiver
>> on the rotating table (which will need to have temperature
>> controls, etc.)
>>
>> Oh, what a pit one can descend into with the goal of reducing
>> everything to a minimum error.
>
> In this case the goal is actually not minimizing error. The goal is
> to vary each possible error source with its own prime modulation
> period. Collect lots of data and the FFT tells you how much each
> error contributes to the pie.

Yes, but how do you know whether it's coax flex or phase center
displacement that's causing your 17 hour periodicity.

I was thinking not so much reducing error in the overall measurement,
but in reducing the uncertainty in the estimate of the size of each
contributor to the overall system.