[time-nuts] CGSIC: FW: New NANU 2014090

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 16 19:38:43 EST 2014

On 12/16/14, 4:06 PM, Bob Camp wrote:
> Hi
>
>> On Dec 16, 2014, at 7:01 PM, Jim Lux <jimlux at earthlink.net> wrote:
>>
>> On 12/16/14, 3:36 PM, Magnus Danielson wrote:
>>> Paul,
>>>
>>> That is indeed the question. Considering that the signal is better
>>> supported, I hope the light goes on somewhere. The signals is all
>>> 1,023 Mchips/s, just a thad different. Should be possible to pull off if
>>> people want to do dual frequency without going full bandwidth.
>>>
>>> Then again, if you are willing to pay good money, you can get it today.
>>>

>> what about one of the software receivers? I would think that making  L2 and L5 filters isn't that tough, so all you need is the back end.
>
> ….. and the back end is where all the work is.

but there probably are some software receivers (open source?) out there..

http://gps.psas.pdx.edu/ appears to have stalled for lack of hardware

http://gnss-sdr.org/
"This article provides details about the support that GNSS-SDR offers
for real-time operation using the GNSS USB front-end SiGe GN3S Sampler
v2. Unfortunately, this product has been retired and replaced by a newer
version v3, but we hope this still can be useful to v2 users. "

The RTL dongle might a choice, but the Elonics E4000 flavor has a whole
from 1100-1250, and since L2 is at 1227, that's a problem.

http://www.taroz.net/gnsssdrlib_e.html
appears to support all the frequencies and modulations

the GN3S sampler is available from SparkFun for $500.. if they have them
in stock. I'm not sure it can tune the band, though: they don't seem to
have a block diagram and I'm not going to "read the source code" to
figure it out.  Seems from the SiGe datasheet that it's L1 only, but the
well equipped timenut might be able to fake the reference crystal to one
that would tune L2 and L5.

http://www.nsl.eu.com/primo.html seems to be hardware that can do all
the stuff..  Maybe GBP800? in a nice box.