[time-nuts] Set time on Solaris computer from HP 58503A

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Dec 17 02:18:38 EST 2014

Of *course* you can sync to better than a millisecond on the LAN.  There's
not a machine worldwide at my employer more than 600 micros off from each
other, and the machines at my house are within 50.

You wanna start talking the sync-e+1588 test I'm doing?  We're speaking in
nanos then.

My LTE Lite is the only USB pps I have presently - and it pulls my time
well over 200 milliseconds off reference.  That's a massive change from the
1 or less I am from the internet and the 50 micros from the other boxes.

NS

Neil,

Have you compared the PPS direct output of the LTE Lite for offset from true
UTC?

On serial-over-USB: my own tests with a different box, using PPS on the
serial port DCD line over USB were much better than that, reducing jitter
from 110-140 microseconds with a LAN connection to a stratum-1 source to 45
microseconds with a PPS/DCD over USB connection.

  http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/NTP-on-Windows-serial-port.html#usb

I may have been lucky with the particular serial-USB converter, though.

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk