[time-nuts] Time Nuts Overload

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Wed Dec 17 04:34:33 EST 2014

Hi everyone,

The past couple of weeks or month it seems we've had a lot more traffic than usual.

This is a reminder that there are 1300 of us and we look forward to rich content on this list.

Postings that have little technical content, or are based on guessing, or are just one-liners, or are off-topic, or even rants are fine once in a while -- but when the list gets too busy, like it has recently, this sort of chatter drives good people away.

Worse yet, it sets a really bad precedent for newcomers to the list, who might think this sort of casual content is normal, and then they mimic it. That's an exponential disaster in the making.

We want to keep old-timers who value their time and we want to welcome new-comers to the wealth of experience, community, and deep information archives that this list offers. But because it's a mailing list and not a web forum, there must be restraint and focus on postings, and especially replies.

So please do your part to keep the S/N really high.

If you have questions on recent threads that I stopped, or postings that I rejected, or all the off-list emails that I sent this past week, please contact me directly.

Also, if you have any suggestions on how else to solve this overload situation I'm all ears!
Do not reply to this posting. Reply to me off-list. I'm at tvb at leapsecond.com

Thanks,
/tvb
http://www.leapsecond.com/time-nuts.htm