[time-nuts] Lady Heather and comm port setup...

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 17 20:31:32 EST 2014

Win 95?  Get real!   Real men run WIN98.   Lady Heather runs fine on WIN98.   I use a Compaq Armada 1700 running WIN98 at 230 MHz.   I have run it (but not lately) on a steam driven 90 MHz Fujitsu laptop with passive matrix screen.

You would be amazed at what you can find laptop wise on Ebay.  I wanted a laptop to run Mach3 for a small CNC mill/laser cutter.   Laptops can be problematic with Mach3 because they want to drop into sleep modes at the worst possible time.   I found a reference that a 2+ GHz Compaq EVO N610C laptop works fine with Mach3 and has hardware serial and parallel ports, wifi, etc.  Checking Ebay at the time,  I found several in the $75-$150 dollar range.  And a listing for 5 of them, loaded with XP and Office for $150 total...  shipped.  She also tossed in 7 extra battery packs (all good).  That's a lot of CPU power for $30 a copy...  The screen on my Armada recently died and I had to pay over $50 for a new Armada.