[time-nuts] Lady Heather and comm port setup...

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 23:52:16 EST 2014

I keep a VMware "image" file with a very old copy on Windows on it
just for old programs like this.  The image  file will boot up on a
Mac or Linux machine or even in a Win 7 PC.  I keep thinking it would
be good to re-write LH so it would run on a more reasonable/modern
platform but there are about 1,000 other things ahead in the queue.

On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 5:31 PM, Mark Sims <holrum at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Win 95?  Get real!   Real men run WIN98.   Lady Heather runs fine on WIN98.   I use a Compaq Armada 1700 running WIN98 at 230 MHz.   I have run it (but not lately) on a steam driven 90 MHz Fujitsu laptop with passive matrix screen.
>
> You would be amazed at what you can find laptop wise on Ebay.  I wanted a laptop to run Mach3 for a small CNC mill/laser cutter.   Laptops can be problematic with Mach3 because they want to drop into sleep modes at the worst possible time.   I found a reference that a 2+ GHz Compaq EVO N610C laptop works fine with Mach3 and has hardware serial and parallel ports, wifi, etc.  Checking Ebay at the time,  I found several in the $75-$150 dollar range.  And a listing for 5 of them, loaded with XP and Office for $150 total...  shipped.  She also tossed in 7 extra battery packs (all good).  That's a lot of CPU power for $30 a copy...  The screen on my Armada recently died and I had to pay over $50 for a new Armada.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California