[time-nuts] Another use for a Trimble Thunderbolt

WarrenS warrensjmail-one at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 26 16:29:15 EST 2014

Authur wrote:
>Take a look at the plot where I adjust a rubidium standard and see what you
>think.

I think it is a great idea, and shows that LadyHeather and a modified TBolt
can make a great high end, stand alone Time-Nut tester without the need of a
reference osc or offset osc, or any other special counters.
(your plots show a great antenna and position setup, an important first step
to get the low phase noise desired)

To speed up the initial frequency tuning, what I've found helps is to set
LadyHeather's display filter to around 100 sec, then the freq offset plot
can be used to course tune the Rb's freq to under 1e-11 in just a few
minutes.
After the course freq adj, if you want better than that, the phase plot can
be used to measure freq, tempco,  and/or aging of any 10 MHz osc with better
than 1e-13 / day resolution or 1e-14 using a week long test run.
That should be useful for any time nut's Oscillator, even those with Cs and
Hydrogen Masers.

Attached is a 13 day lady Heather test plot of a LPRO Rb that I did a few
years back using a Tbolt modified to use an external Osc.
The plot shows a best case undisciplined drift rate of 20 ns change over 3.5
days, 6ns /day,  which equals to a 0.67e-13 freq error  during days 9-11,
Then right after that at day 12, 5ns /hr for a freq error of ~1e-12.

 ws