[time-nuts] Soekris without a GPS receiver.

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sat Dec 27 11:22:40 EST 2014

Look at the bottom of this page refclock.htm
<http://doc.ntp.org/4.1.0/refclock.htm> for a list a clocks that NTP can
use.  Some of them are GPS receivers.  For example "type 30" is the Oncore
 line of receivers and Type 20 is any generic NMEA GPS receiver, with is by
far the most common type.

There is nothing special about configuring a Soekis.  It is just like any
other system that runs ntpd.  The top of the documentation pages is here
http://doc.ntp.org/4.1.0/ntpd.htm

On Sat, Dec 27, 2014 at 1:56 AM, David J Taylor <
david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> I have a Soekris 4501 running with NanoBSD and have got as far as adding
> the PPS/DCD/GPIO modifications to the hardware.  NTPns itself is working,
> and the red LED is flashing as expected.
>
> I would now like to get NTPns working with that more precise timing which
> is available, but as I don't have an Oncore or a DCF77 receiver I am
> stuck.  Is it possible to use just the PPS/DCD line on its own for the
> fraction of the seconds, or would I need one or other of those receivers to
> make it work? If it can be made to work, what are suitable configuration
> commands?
>
> Thanks,
> David
> --
> SatSignal Software - Quality software written to your requirements
> Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
> Email: david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California