[time-nuts] New GPSDO on EBAY From China

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Dec 28 21:09:24 EST 2014

Hi

Quick summary if you don’t want to go back a month or two in the archives:

1) They appear to be a club project done by a ham club in China.

2) There are multiple versions in the pictures, some with more jumpers, some with fewer jumpers.

3) The design appears to be pretty new. Dates are all quite recent.

4) If English language doc’s or schematics exist on the part, nobody has been able to find them. To the extent translation software will let one look around, the same is true of Chinese doc’s.

5) If they interface to any sort of software, that information (and software) also seems to be among the “missing bits”.

6) They appear to be one off hand built units made from parts commonly available in the local Chinese market. The OCXO may (or may not) be the only suspect part on the unit you get.

Simply put - we don’t really know anything at all about them. There is more information on things like the LTE Lite and the KS boxes. Both are in a similar price league to the Chinese box. That brings up the basic question of - why risk your money? The may be fine units. The doc’s might be out there. Until the doc’s show up and a seller posts some data, I’d stay away. If it’s your 20th GPSDO and you already have a couple of LTE’s and a couple pairs of KS’s - go for it. I would not make it my first GPSDO.

Bob