[time-nuts] Soekris without a GPS receiver.

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Dec 29 07:02:15 EST 2014

From: Chris Albertson

Can't you combine a few Internet pool NTP servers with a local 1PPS
source?  The Internet servers will "name the seconds".

Also if you really need a Motorola Oncore you can buy them for $20 on
eBay.  There is no shortage.  I paid $18 with free shipping for a UT+

I run the UT+ and leave the Thunderbolt powered off most of the time
because the power used by the TB is so high compared to the very modest
power draw of the UT+
=======================================

Chris,

Using a mixture of PPS and local servers is exactly what I was aiming for,
but:

- NTPns doesn't support my PPS source

- for testing, using local servers alone, even the seconds don't get "named"
correctly, even though NTPns shows they are being detected and one is even
marked as "SELECTED".

I was thinking that my already purchased LTElite might be a suitable PPS
source, and perhaps even be able to drive the net4501's clock (at some point
in the future).

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu