[time-nuts] Measuring 1 PPS with an HP 5335A

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Feb 17 02:51:43 EST 2014

> The above trigger changes combined with reconfiguring for 50ohms input
> signal did the trick. I'm now seeing readings like 0.999 999 983 +0.

That's a good way to measure/calibrate the crystal in your 5335A.  :)
(Assuming you have a good reference, and GPS is good if you get consistent
readings.)

> I confess, heretofore when I saw "sawtooth" conversations, and tried to
> follow the thread, my eyes would glaze over after one or two emails. I
> presumed they were strictly discussing some RC constant circuit-design/
> tradeoffs type "sawtooth".

Have you read the Hanging Bridges paper?  I'd call it required reading for
any time-nut interested in GPS.
  Tom Clark and Rick Hambly: Timing for VLBI
  http://gpstime.com/files/tow-time2009.pdf

tvb also has a good page:
  http://www.leapsecond.com/pages/m12/sawtooth.htm

--