[time-nuts] Looking for WWVB digital wall clock with digital 24 hour UTC display

Paul tic-toc at bodosom.net
Fri Feb 21 10:02:14 EST 2014

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 6:18 AM, Mike S <mikes at flatsurface.com> wrote:

> How about a cheap Android tablet and a clock application? I assume you're
> planning on AC power, since LEDs won't run long on battery....

I've seen refurb 1st gen iPads for $150 (pretty sure these can do NTP,
> too). The real cheap tablets tend to have poor digitizers, but that really
> doesn't matter for use as a wall clock.

For security purposes applications are not allowed to set system time.
Given "root" access you can do this so the simplest approach is run an NTP
display application.

However if an iPad is within financial reach and NTP meets the 5071
requirement then Emerald Time may an answer.   Emerald Sequoia is invested
in horology if not metrology so they may be of some interest to a time nut.

I've attached a relevant screen capture and other images can be seen on
their App Store page.  The fractional offset in the upper right is the NTP
delta.  The main display is NTP time.

On the Android side I use clockSync which will set the system clock given
root access otherwise it just displays "Atomic" time and system time.  It
doesn't have UTC mode so you'd have run the device in UTC.  Screenshot also
attached.