[time-nuts] New WWVB modulation format receivers (NOT)

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 13:26:01 EST 2014

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 9:47 AM, Bob Albert <bob91343 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I looked on line and it seems that these receivers are available for about $150 and up.  A little out of my price range right now but I'll keep my eyes open.

Watch the thread on this list about the Arduino based GPSDO.  I think
you can get the price down to $50.  If all you need is something to
calibrate frequency counter then all you need is  9 to 10 digit
accuracy

I'm going to do this just to prove it can be done for a low two figure
price.  But first I have to find a decent crystal oscillator that does
not use up 1/2 of my $40 budget.

If you want ultimate precision that you need a good GPS antenna in a
good location,  A high-end timing mode GPS receiver and a high-end
double oven quartz oscillator.  The cost adds up.   But I think if you
relax the specifications and shoot only for 9 to 10 digits you can
greatly reduce the price.

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California