[time-nuts] Trimble: Using RS-232 via with USB adapter

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Jan 3 09:00:21 EST 2014

From: Graeme Zimmer

Hi folks,

This has probably been covered before, but I thought it worth knowing....

I wanted to use my new laptop with my Trimble/Nortel GSP receiver.
As my laptop doesn't have an RS-232 port, I purchased a cheap USB to
RS-232 adaptor.

After a few false starts I found that the older Tboltmon software runs
quite happily via the adaptor.

A pleasant surprise however was that the newer USB based TrimbleStudio
also runs.
The TrimbleStudio has a few nice additions over the older software.

regards ............. Zim

.. and with a bit of luck, Zim, your adapter will also transmit any PPS
signal send to the DCD line, and you can then use NTP to get better sync
than with the Internet alone.  (Serial data alone can be notoriously
inaccurate).

David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk