[time-nuts] Trimble Thunderbolt 1pps

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sat Jan 4 03:52:17 EST 2014

On Sat, Jan 4, 2014 at 12:36 AM, David J Taylor <
david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> Interesting discussion re getting the 1PPS into a PC to synchronise a
> timing program.
> I use WSPR for ham radio and was wondering how to do this.
>
> Can you tell me which (Windows) time synch programs can use the 1PPS on
> DCD of the RS232 interface please?

NTP is pretty much it.  Most computers (likely including yours) already
have NTP installed.  You find it in routers and almost any device that
connects to the Internet.  But the version in Windows has been mess with by
Microsoft.   Get the real thing from www.ntp.org.  It's free.

One hint, you said "time sync".  The better way to understand NTP is "rate
sync."  If it has to move the phase it will do it with a rate adjustment.
 NTP runs forever and tries to match the rate of your system clock to the
"best" sources of time it has available and it will look at several of
them.  But in your case you will have only the one GPS.  You will want to
configure several internet timeservers to back up your GPS and serve as a
sanity check on it.

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California