[time-nuts] Thunderbolt tuning DAC theory of operation

MailLists lists at medesign.ro
Sun Jan 5 04:43:49 EST 2014

On a later version, the Trimble/Nortel 45k, there are a few obvious HW
differences (lousy Rx, bigger FPGA - XC5204, second Flash EEPROM).
The PWM is generated differentially (better CMR) in the FPGA (output on
pins 12, 13) registered, synchronously with the squared OCXO output
signal to reduce jitter, in the 74AC174 on D0, and D1 (input on pins 3,
4), which is being supplied with a stabilized voltage from the LT1021-5
reference through one section of the quad Op Amp LT1014, and a series
transistor. Those operations (jitter minimization  and clean supply
voltage) are crucial to the quality of the PWM signal.
While the operation is obviously by PWM modulating the 102.4us period
(10MHz/2^10) signal by the 10MSBs, the processing of the 10LSBs is less so.
The PWM signal is dithered, by a ripple minimizing pattern, with a
periodicity of 1024 pulses (104.8576ms = 1/10MHz/10^20), giving the DAC
a full 20bit monotonic resolution.