[time-nuts] WAAS.....

Brian Lloyd brian at lloyd.com
Wed Jan 8 14:20:19 EST 2014

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 12:02 PM, Brian, WA1ZMS <wa1zms at att.net> wrote:

As far as I have seen first-hand, the jamming is short in nature and events
> that I saw were from trucks on highways trying to defeat any tracking
> systems in the trucks.  An FCC enforcement issue here in the US resulted in
> one such user being made an example of by heavy fines since his truck was
> near a major airport where the FAA was trying to test GPS landing aids.

I have experienced loss of GPS while using it as my primary nav-aid while
flying. Twice it occurred over the ocean while out of sight of land. I
suspected at that time that it was a general outage (it took down my
panel-mount GPS as well as my hand-held back-up), but now suspect that it
was close-in jamming.

I remember the general availability of Russian-made GPS jammers about 15
years ago. I didn't realize that the use of GPS jamming was prevalent.

--
Brian Lloyd, WB6RQN/J79BPL
706 Flightline Drive
brian at lloyd.com