[time-nuts] Lady heather plus NTP server?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue Jan 21 00:05:02 EST 2014

> Is this possible to do, and if so,  can anyone give me some clues as to how?

ntpd works fine with Thunderbolts.  It's the Palisade driver, 29.  If that's
not enough of a hint I'll say more.

ntpd basically sends a few setup commands to put the TBolt into a mode where
it sends packet types X and Y every second, and then just listens to those
packets.  (I forget the values of X and Y.  If you need to know and can't
find them in the source code, I'll look for them.)

If you have two PCs, you might try making a RS-232 splitter cable.  Put ntpd
on the listen only side.  If LH sets things up right, ntpd will hear the
stuff it wants and ignore the other stuff that LH uses.  If ntpd does
anything too stupid (like flood the log file), let me know and I'll try to
fix it.

You might be able to avoid the second PC by using a USB-serial gizmo.  For
good timing, you need to hack the TBolt to put the PPS on pin ?? and connect
that to the real serial port.  The TBolt pulse may not be wide enough.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.