[time-nuts] Z3816A Control and Cleaning

Howard Davidson hld at speakeasy.net
Fri Jan 24 03:11:34 EST 2014

When I worked at H-P, the original H-P, Loveland instrument division the
last stage for circuit boards coming off the soldering process was a
trip through a regular home dishwasher with tap water and Calgonite. It
got ionic contamination off the boards better than anything else we
tried. I often run boards from instruments I've gotten on e-bay through
the dishwasher if they are really filthy.

When my cat peed in my Z3816A and blew up the line operated power supply
I bought another power supply and washed the rest of the instrument by
hand with detergent and water, 91% IPA, and dried it in the oven at
125F. There were some parts that did not look like they would like the
force of the water in the dishwasher. It's worked well for years since then.

hld

On 1/23/2014 11:42 PM, Larry McDavid wrote:
> Folks, soap and detergent are not the same thing.
>
> Larry
>

> On 1/23/2014 11:22 PM, Glenn Little wrote:
>> Tektronix used to clean their oscilloscopes in a soap and water bath in
>> something like a dish washer.
>> This was published in Tek Scope V4 #4 July 1972.
>> I can send the pdf if interested.
>>
>> Glenn
>> WB4UIV

Howard L. Davidson