[time-nuts] Morion MV89A position

Charles Steinmetz csteinmetz at yandex.com
Wed Jan 29 03:37:13 EST 2014

Paul wrote:

>Can you mention the size of the aluminum box you are using to add
>thermal capacitance?

It depends on the size of the oscillator -- as a general rule, I'd
leave at least 3-4 cm of air space on all 6 sides of the
oscillator.  The cast aluminum boxes I use have wall thicknesses from
1.6 mm to 4 mm.

Warren pointed out that the MV89 has a double oven and said that this
makes added thermal capacitance unnecessary.  He seems to have had
better luck with MV89s than I have.  I did not find that the three I
tried had significantly less sensitivity to fast ambient temperature
changes than a number of single-oven oscillators in my
collection.  In my experience, and from the many posts to this list
and elsewhere, it is obvious that the quality of brand new MV89s
varies all over the place and, additionally, that many of the ones
available used on the surplus market are broken.

Best regards,

Charles