[time-nuts] EFC divider resistors

Volker Esper ailer2 at t-online.de
Fri Jan 31 18:32:27 EST 2014

Don't underestimate the effect of resistors being at different
temperatures. The tempco isn't linear at all, so your drift caused by
ambient temp won't be the same at the different resistors. It is best to
have them at the same value!

I'd been experimenting quite some days to find a reasonable solution
with single resistors. It's essential to have them at the same
temperature and to couple them thermally as good as you can.

Precision resistor dividers do it just the same way: very small resistor
pills very tightly placed on a very good thermally conducting
substrate.  If you find the right value/ratio, and are game for paying
about 30$ you can get a ready-to-use divider from Vishay or so.

Another suggestion: replace the divider R3/4/5 by a precision reference
at the desired voltage. "5V" sounds like a TTL supply - that would be no
good idea.

My personal story: When I had my divider placed on the PCB I was
wondering the oscilloscope showing sudden milli volt jumps from time to
time (where I expected a noise of some micro volts...). After hours of
searching I noticed a correlation with the wind blowing outside my
shack. It was a small crack in the window that let a tiny airstream flow
across my PCB, so tiny, I couldn't sense.

Volker