[time-nuts] FASTRAX GPS

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 16:25:45 EDT 2014

On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 1:00 PM, Alexander Pummer <alexpcs at ieee.org> wrote:

>> I've done this many times via (multiple) patching panels/frames easily
>> over 100ft, ribbon/rollover then cat6 but also cat5. This kit tends to be
>> reliable...

Does this include the PPS signal on the DTR pin?  I think this is part
of the problem with a long serial cable and GPS.  The pulse is
sometimes VERY short.

Again, yes you could fix this by introducing circuits at each end.

And what were you sending?  Typically in an IT environment you'd be
using serial for the admin ports of routers and the like.  Basically
you run terminal emulators and it does not matter if one in 1,000
characters is corrupted.  The data is not checksummed and you'd rarely
notice an error.  The Binary TSIP data from a Thunderbolt is
checksummed and runs 24x7 so you notice every error.   But really, the
main problem was the PPS.
--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California