[time-nuts] DIY FE-5680A lobotomy (disable temp compensation)

EWKehren at aol.com EWKehren at aol.com
Fri Jul 4 07:11:02 EDT 2014

Good Morning Angus
Let me start out by saying the FE5680A project was intended for time nuts
and the unit will not be part of our bench, so the work on it is limited. As
far  as Rb's are concerned our focus is on FRK and HP5065. Looking back I
would most  likely not suggested it, had I known how much time it took up.
How ever it also  made us take an other look at Rb control, switching from
analog to digital and  resulted in looking at the FE 405 B. So it is worth it.
Using heat pipe for the FE 5680 was the outcome of many test with heat
sinks and other heat pipes. The big advantage of the heat pipe is the ease of
removing the heat but it also has its limitation. Its biggest limitation is
the  fact that it works on the principle of converting a liquid to a vapor a
process  that takes a lot of heat. so you can not expect it to bring the
temperature down  to 20 degrees. And to much heat pipe is not good either. In
the one you see in  the picture I may have to deactivate one of the pipes.
The ALU p;ate is 3/16"  and the LM335 is on the back. I took out the bottom
plate of the 5680 and  between the two mounting holes of the ALU spine is
plenty of room to install a  SMD version of the 335. Temperature is 40C but not
that critical but range is  limited by the function of a heat pipe.
You may want to experiment and if you are going to do some serious work
contact me off list, not secrets, but the pictures can not be attached on this
 list because of file size limitation.
When I first got the 5680 I did a crude temperature control using a fan a
heat sink from an ATT Rb a LM335 along with a bang bang op amp circuit. I
previously published picture and schematic. Temperature stability was better
than 0.1 C. We have done extensive work on controlling the back plate
temperature of a FRK and now get 0.01 C. We learned a lot and I like to share it
 since it will also apply to the heat pipe. The biggest problem is the fan.
We do  not have speed control but vary the speed by changing the fan
voltage. We use a  linear controller also previously published but have to be
concerned about fan  starting voltage. We want to be able to hold constant
temperature over a 10C  ambient change. Found that 12 V fan is best and at the
same time looked for low  noise. Learned also that more heat from the back
plane helped with the operating  range. Now all voltage regulators and the fan
power transistor are along with  heat sinks are mounted on the back plate.
Side benefit is more stable voltage  out of the regulators.
This would be an ideal project for time nuts, since the results will apply
to other Rb's not only the 5680 and benefit the community. I will stay out
of  the discussion since we have our hands full.
Bert Kehren

In a message dated 7/3/2014 9:37:27 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,