[time-nuts] Magnetic Resonance Spectrometer - redux

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Tue Jul 8 16:36:29 EDT 2014

Bob,

It's always a good sign (being a time nut) to wonder if anything around you can make a frequency standard.

I myself always wonder how close to UTC stop lights are synchronized in time, or what the frequency or ADEV of a car's turn signal is, or how to measure the beat note of two or more turn signals in front of me. In just one minute you face a fine example of most of the art of time & frequency measurement.

Anyway, here's an answer to your Magnetic Resonance question from someone I know:

----------
> Hello Tom--
>
> Sure enough, this can be done, but it requires the magnet, first and foremost.
> From a frequency-standards point of view, it's a fail, though, since the frequency
> you get is directly proportional to the field strength, and will therefore show
> all the tempco of the permanent magnet's field -- perhaps 0.1% = 1000 ppm per Kelvin.
> With a modern NdFeB magnet, it's even worse, perhaps 0.4%/K.
>
> The second issue is the requirement for the field to be uniform in magnitude,
> perhaps to 10 ppm, over the volume of the sample.  That is hard to assure in a
> random surplus magnet, though once you *find* a signal, you can search around for
> a 'sweet spot' to improve it.

> If you look at the TeachSpin Pulsed NMR system,
> http://www.teachspin.com/instruments/cw_nmr/index.shtml
> you'll see a modern teaching model of this sort of instrument, based on a
> temperature-controlled NdFeB magnet and running at about 21 > MHz.  Naturally the
> circuitry is different, and in fact modern NMR units typically use pulsed excitation
> and Fourier-methods detection, rather than the continuous-wave methods in vogue
> during the vacuum-tube era.
>
> For people who want to do homebrew NMR, I myself would recommend earth's-field NMR,
> which was also the subject of a Sci Am 'Amateur Scientist' column -- there, you
> give up the concept of a frequency standard, and you use NMR to detect the small
> changes in the earth's magnetic field -- that is to say, your hobby becomes
> magnetometry instead.
>
> Most questions welcome!
>
> Best, DVB

/tvb