[time-nuts] Anyone having a problem getting Bulletin B from maia.usno.navy.mil?

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Fri Jul 11 10:40:57 EDT 2014

Mike,

I also have had occasional trouble with usno.navy.mil the past year. It always works in the end, but sometimes I have to try more than once, or a different ISP or a different browser or a different computer/os. Note also there are times when wget fails but Chrome works perfectly (just SaveAs the text file). I have not spent time debugging the strange issue.

You can also try different URL's, such as:
ftp://maia.usno.navy.mil/ser7/finals.all
http://toshi.nofs.navy.mil/ser7/finals.all

Another idea is to click *through* http://toshi.nofs.navy.mil/ to get the file(s) you want, rather than a *direct* wget.

Last idea is to get your raw data from a non .mil site. Try http://hpiers.obspm.fr/eop-pc/ and click on the "earth orientation data" tab.

If you completely give up, I can send you the UT1 data myself.

/tvb

----- Original Message -----
From: "mike cook" <michael.cook at sfr.fr>
To: "Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement" <time-nuts at febo.com>
Sent: Friday, July 11, 2014 6:54 AM
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Anyone having a problem getting Bulletin B from maia.usno.navy.mil?

Looks like my problem is back:

/usr/local/bin/wget -O /tmp/finals-all http://maia.usno.navy.mil/ser7/finals.all &2> /dev/null

gets
--2014-07-11 15:35:27--  http://maia.usno.navy.mil/ser7/finals.all
Resolving maia.usno.navy.mil (maia.usno.navy.mil)... 199.211.133.23
Connecting to maia.usno.navy.mil (maia.usno.navy.mil)|199.211.133.23|:80... failed: Operation timed out.
Retrying.

--2014-07-11 15:36:51--  (try: 2)  http://maia.usno.navy.mil/ser7/finals.all
Connecting to maia.usno.navy.mil (maia.usno.navy.mil)|199.211.133.23|:80... failed: Operation timed out.
Retrying.

The finals.all data does not seem to be available from iers, but just through usno. I use is to create graphs of UTC-UT1 delta.
I was looking today as I wanted to add to my graph the difference between the observed and predicted values since the records started. Unfortunately it did not occur to me to backup the source data.