[time-nuts] Setting Windows XP clock.

Don Latham djl at montana.com
Sun Jul 13 16:25:14 EDT 2014

All I can get with any server is
"an error occurred while synchronizing. . ."
OTH my symmetricom analog network clock is peacefully humming along and has
been for at least a year now. Connected to the same ISP.
Don

Chris Albertson
> I did see some retries going to time.windows.com.
> I'd suggest changing to 0.north-america.pool.ntp.org if you live in
> North America
>
> It took several seconds to get time form time.windows.com but
> 0.north-america.pool.ntp.org had no delay.
>
> On Sun, Jul 13, 2014 at 12:00 PM, Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:
>>
>> albertson.chris at gmail.com said:
>>> 1) It is set to use an NTP server called  "time.windows.com"
>>> to set the clock.
>>>  3) The above is working as well as it has ever worked.
>>>   Nothing has changed at Microsoft's end.
>>
>> It may be more complicated than that.
>>
>> time.windows.com is a cname for time.microsoft.akadns.net
>> That's Akami's DNS magic to give you the closest/best server.
>> I'm in Silicon Valley.  I get either 65.55.56.206 or 64.4.10.33
>>
>> 64.4.10.33 only works some of the time.  It's not random packet drops.  It
>> drops out for a while, then recovers.
>>
>> 65.55.56.206 is similar, but seems to work more often, at least from my
>> hacking of the last few minutes.
>>
>> Both IP ranges are assigned to Microsoft.  Neither responds to pings.
>>
>> You will probably see different results if you are in a different location.
>>

>> --
>> These are my opinions.  I hate spam.

>> and follow the instructions there.
>

> --
>
> Chris Albertson
> Redondo Beach, California

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who
have not got it."
 -George Bernard Shaw

Dr. Don Latham AJ7LL
Six Mile Systems LLC