[time-nuts] VNA design

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Mon Jun 2 15:41:28 EDT 2014

Hi:

I started with the HP 8410 and added an external computer.
Since it can be used manually I think it's an excellent way to learn about VNAs.
http://www.prc68.com/I/MWTE.shtml#NA

It turns out that when automating a VNA the same frequency is measured many times during cal and device testing.
If the frequency is not exactly the same errors are introduced. The early systems used sweep generators and harmonic
locking which might lock to different harmonic numbers thus causing errors. Later systems used EIP frequency counters to
phase lock the sweepers to minimize that problem and the newest systems use frequency synthesizers with good reference
oscillators (Time Nuts content).

Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke
http://www.PRC68.com