[time-nuts] DIY FE-5680A lobotomy (disable temp compensation)

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Jun 28 09:36:10 EDT 2014

Hi

Most of these lightweight Rb’s do the same thing. They watch the oven current on one or the other section and try to guess the external temperature. Based on that guess they do a simple temperature correction on the unit. The older analog units feed a DC signal into the EFC. The newer digital units feed a signal into the DDS.

In both cases (analog and digital), the ADEV of the units can be improved by disabling this “feature”. That of course assumes you are at a constant (as in very constant) abient temperature. In the case of the analog part, it’s the noise on the heater current that gets you. In the case of the digital approach, it’s the tuning granularity of the DDS that messes things up (and possibly heater current noise as well).

How constant is “very constant”? That depends on the Rb you have. A good bet is that your device runs better than 2 to 4 ppb over a 100C range without the compensation turned on. That gives you 20 to 40 ppt per degree C. To hit 1 ppt you would need to control the device to better than 0.05 C. If you simply want to hit the 0.1 ppb temperature spec, then you only need a two degree control. If you look at the temperature compensation data words (ddd steps), some Rb’s in a batch are much better than others, so there is no easy way to be sure of the results ahead of time.

Bob