[time-nuts] Dephasing WWVB

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 10:49:52 EDT 2014

Many of the old receivers use them spectracoms come to mind. They are big
units and +- 40 Hz BW and I am totally unaware that they can be found
today. That also goes for nice transformers and inductors to build higher Q
circuits.
I built a opamp chain and it worked well but those crazy amps do draw
power. I like the ua consumption level. But thats a personnel preference.

I used the 60 KHz watch Xtals and its in the schematics of the WWVB rcvr I
released to time-nuts a year ago. These little crystals are interesting to
work with and available from China 25 xtals for a few $ at the pay site. I
purchased 2 packs so that I could sift through them. The trick is to very
very lightly load them. I could learn much more about them actually. They
seem useful overall.
The first re-modulator used them directly as the 60 KHz source. I stepped
up to the 15.360 MHz osc only because I believed they were not accurate
enough and that turned out not to be the case as I found.

The other comment to note is that these xtals cause an actual signal gap at
the phase transition. Because at that point the signal is actually 2 X 60
Khz. The crystal gaps for at least 8 cycles from what I have seen.
Regards
Paul
WB8TSL