[time-nuts] Dephasing WWVB

John Reed ka5qep at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 30 13:00:45 EDT 2014

First on the Schmidt trigger - The problem is that at the start of each
"bit" that WWVB transmits the squared 60 KHz signal is essentially dead and
the trigger must pick a new starting point.  This point seems to be random
and can apparently end up as a positive or negative, so you end up with
phase changes of 180 after the flip flop.  No trigger can fix this.  The
system has to have some memory of the phase and this is why the Costas loop
works.

I thought about getting rid of the 100 KHz front end filter in the Tracor
and seeing if I could modify it by squaring the LO signal.  This isn't
straightforward either.  The Tracor has a complex method of generating the
IF signal.

I wasn't aware that 60 KHz crystals are available.  I would have used these
instead of the LC filters.  I had some old telephone loading ferrite toroid
coils, so most of the hardware was available.

Thanks for all the comments on this.  At least I understand the problem now,
and why the solution will take some work.

John