[time-nuts] Opinions on OpenNTPD

Matthew Martin dr.grid at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 02:14:43 EDT 2014

Greetings to the group!  I just obtained a Rev C Beagleboard Black this
week, and the standard distribution does not include ntpd.  When I check
for available ntpd related packages using the "aptitude" command, it offers
OpenBSD's openntpd as the one available ntpd package.

A little bit of research on the OpenNTPD project suggests to me that it is
a lightweight ntpd implementation.  They even suggest that if you are
looking for the ultimate accuracy you may not want to use OpenNTPD.

Has anyone here actually used OpenNTPD, and perhaps made a comparison with
a more standard ntpd package?  I get the feeling that I would be better off
with a standard ntpd.  Does OpenNTPD even support PPS or the variety of
clock source drivers that standard ntpd supports?

Thanks to the group for your help.
   Matt