[time-nuts] Another "atomic" clock question

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Sun Mar 2 09:57:16 EST 2014

> My opinion:  For 1ppm you will need any reasonable GPS receiver that
> has a 1PPS output.  You can find them that are really good and put the

Chris,

I agree investing in a cheap GPS receiver is a good step for anyone playing with time & frequency. I would recommend the same.

But I'd like to point out that 1 ppm is an easy goal and you don't need GPS for that.

For example, a 10811A OCXO has a frequency drift spec of 5e-10/day and 1e-7/year. We know that after continuous use most 10811 are far better than this. Even the manual mentions "typical 1e-8 / year after 1 year". So that means if you buy a 10811, it should stay within 1 ppm -- for your rest of your life. No GPS. No antenna. No worries.

/tvb