[time-nuts] Another "atomic" clock question

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Sun Mar 2 10:46:27 EST 2014

Hi

Assuming you are after a reference at 10 ppb accuracy:

10 ppb would be a 10 second beat note on WWV at 10 MHz. (I *hope* I got the decimal point right that time).

Fire up your radio and start listening to the various frequencies. You want a time when it’s crystal clear with absolutely no fade. Yes you will wait a while to do that. Pad down your reference and do a good zero beat. Observe it for at least 10 minutes. Come back another day and check it again.

You may / may not actually have 10 ppb doing this, but you will be pretty close. It assumes you have a radio, antennas, time, and a way to zero beat at more than one frequency. If you are stuck at 10 MHz it will take more time ….

———

A GPSDO will run you far less than the cost of all the gear you already have for the WWV zero beat. It also will not involve a few weeks of your time checking for a good set of band conditions. Finally it will give you a reference that is at least 10X better than your target. If you intend to *set* stuff to 10 ppb then the reference needs to be 1 ppb….

The other assumption above is that your existing reference is stable to much better than 10 ppb. If it’s not, then you need both a reference and a way to calibrate it. The GPSDO would give you both, since it’s got a 10 MHz OCXO built into it.

Bob