[time-nuts] Another "atomic" clock question

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Mon Mar 3 19:40:07 EST 2014

> So does this mean I can epoxy a sandstone power resister to a junk
> crystal and keep the frequency exactly perfect by varying the power in
> the resister?

Sure. In fact you can loosely phase lock it to GPS that way. Your xtal doesn't need to have an EFC pin. You are using external temperature as a replacement for EFC. Call it TFC (temperature frequency control) instead. You can't get much simpler than that. Make sure to use a plain XO (not a TCXO or OCXO).

I used a resistor heater to bust hanging-bridges: http://leapsecond.com/pages/vp/heater.htm

/tvb