[time-nuts] PLL Math Question

Bob Stewart bob at evoria.net
Thu Mar 13 00:35:34 EDT 2014

Hi Daniel,

re: FIR vs IIR

I'm not a DSP professional, though I do have an old Smiths, and I've read some of it.  So, could you give me some idea what the FIR vs IIR question means on a practical level for this application?  I can see that the MA is effective and easy to code, but takes up memory space I eventually may not have.  Likewise, I can see that the EA is hard to code for the general case, but takes up little memory.  Any thoughts would be appreciated unless this is straying too far from time-nuts territory.

Bob